Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jalapeño Joes (4905 Airport Blvd)

When I was first discussing my Food Blog with my father-in-law and how it was originally going to be a blog about the quest for the best burger in Austin, we started sharing with each other different burger joints that each had been to in the past.  One of the fond burger memories I had was back when I was working as a retail salesman at Al's Formal Wear on Airport Blvd.  A coworker introduced to me a burger joint down the street.  It's been years since I had eaten there and could not remember what it was called.  So yesterday, I made a trip down to downtown east Austin to the Habitat Restore to look around.  Since it was about lunch time and I was downtown, I decided to go back to the "unknown named burger joint."  I drove down Airport Blvd. to the place where I remembered it being... and there it was, Jalapeno Joes.  The name did not ring a bell at all, so I first thought it was a new food joint.  I got out of the car and saw the banner that brought everything together..... "The Johnny Boy Special."  It was still the same joint.  What's cool about this place is that you walk up and order from a window... everything is to go.  They are only opened from 6am to 3pm and they serve breakfast all day, Mexican food, and burgers.  I placed my order for the same special I had years ago, The Johnny Boy Special, which is a 100% beef patty, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, fries, and a drink for $3.95.  I had to get the sweet tea because I'm an East Texas boy.


What I like about this burger is that they lightly toast the buns so they are a little greasy and the meat patty is on the thin side.  The fries are the McD style fries but with less salt.  Since the last time I went years ago, they have added a nice size wood deck on the side to sit down and enjoy your food. 


Jalapeno Joe's Website: http://www.jalapenojoes.com/location.html
  I menu on their website is not updated, as some of the prices have increased slightly