Tuesday, July 5, 2011

South Austin Food Truck Progressive Dinner

Since the latest craze right now is food trucks, I had to check some of them out for myself.  After watching an episode of Day Tripper with Chet Gardner going to some south Austin food trucks, I thought I would start out with them.

The first stop was the South First Food Court (corner of S. 1st and Live Oak).  We hit Arancini, an Italian food truck and I started our progressive dinner with the Arancini, which is a fried rice ball coated with breadcrumbs stuffed with peas and mozzarella served with some pasta sauce.  They were pretty good.

Next stop was Torchy's Tacos at the South Austin Trailer Park and Eatery (1311 S 1st St).  I had the fried avocado and the green chili pulled pork tacos.   Some of the best tacos I have ever had.   The fried avocado was my favorite.  Everything was fresh and full of flavor.


Our final stop for dessert was Bananarchy (600 S. Lamar Blvd.)  Inspired from the hit show Arrested Development, Bananarchy serves up some delicious frozen bananas.  You can either choose a banana speciality or create your own.  We ordered up the Afternoon Delight half banana.  Described as the flagship banana, the captain banana, the grand tour: all 3 dips swirled together and topped with nuts and graham crackers ($3.75)

As a huge fan of Arrested Development, Bananarchy was up against some very high expectations... and I will just say that after taking the first bite, I was doing the chicken dance and ready to sign up for Army.  I never thought a banana could taste so good.  It was truly and Afternoon Delight, just at 10pm.   Sorry no pic because it was late and not enough light.



Websites:
http://www.eatarancini.com/
http://www.torchystacos.com/
http://bananarchy.net/blog/menu-2